Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Serial learning

There can't be much to do in Kalamazoo.
You might say Michael Nicholson has a passion for learning. The 67-year-old Kalamazoo retiree has amassed 27 college degrees since 1963, and he's not done yet.
Just the sort of thing we are trying to stamp out in England.
"I enjoy learning as a means of independence," Nicholson said. "I have academic freedom; I can study or do whatever I want to do."

...Michael Nicholson said he'll keep pursuing higher education as long as he can.

"I find that the intellectual stimulation and the acquaintances that I have at the intellectual level make it really worthwhile," he said.

He and his wife, who has seven degrees, both got fee discounts as they worked for Western Michigan University. Learning for the joy of learning, it's something that we need to start to value again in this country. Lovely.

Ta Will.

No comments: