Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Reading

I'm back in the UK, catching up with chores whilst a gas fitter installs a new boiler downstairs, discovering fresh problems all the while. He is pleasant, capable and efficient, but this is turning into a three day job as thirty-year-old systems need significant modification. All I can think of for the blog is to pass on two bits of good reading.

I nearly didn't read the first one because of the heading it was given, Prisoner X and the British Guantanamo Bay, complete with pictures of anti-Guantanamo protestors. But the article has nothing at all to do with the terrorism, it is a personal piece on teaching in prisons and the strain of a difficult encounter. It is thoughtful and, once again, emphasises the importance of adult education.

Secondly, this old post from a rarely updated blog has gone viral. It touched a nerve. I have just seen it, many months late, as a friend shared it on Facebook. Called, Seven Reasons Why You Should Stop Bitching About People On Benefits; with the money line - "Being unemployed is not a crime. I know that must come as a shock to you, but I’m afraid it’s true".

No comments: