Monday, April 21, 2008

Did I read that right?

There is a relatively sane article by Madeleine Bunting in the Guardian today about the need to invest in agriculture in Africa. But the way it starts ...

When was the last time you were hungry? Not the pang of a missed breakfast or delayed lunch, but the gnawing obsession of a hunger that has lasted 24 hours? For me, it was 25 years ago - when, for 10 days I lived off one bowl of gruel a day for breakfast ... my experience was a lifestyle choice...

Lifestyle choice? Have I missed something? Did the 'ten days of gruel diet' sweep Islington or was the Oliver Twist Re-enactment Society particularly strong at the time? Not for the first time, she has left me scratching my head.

3 comments:

Francis Sedgemore said...

Brief comment here:

http://sedgemore.com/2008/04/africas-green-revolution

Dr Hiding Pup said...

Maybe it was special gruel, you know, the kind pooped out by rare mountain cats, scooped up and then sold for £50 a bowl...

Anonymous said...

My life style choice, your crash diet, her eating disorder.