Sunday, October 12, 2008

Autumn

There are times that England seduces. Today was a glorious autumn day, warm and bright. Remembrances of a sodden summer slip away and its charm catches your breath. I took advantage of the weather and strolled by the Huddersfield Canal in the Pennines on the Lancashire/Yorkshire border. The leaves are slowly turning and starting to fall. The bare moorland already has its brown-tinged winter hue.

A friend from Greece has emailed to say that they are lunching outside under the shade of their olive tree. It is a timely reminder that England is just a flirt who attracts your attention with a dazzling display and then plunges you into a depressive grey for what seems like an eternity, making you long for a divorce, or at least a trial separation. I enjoyed my harmless flirtation today, I won't take it too seriously though; it's not the real thing.

2 comments:

Anton Deque said...

Are you sure it is England rather than you yourself who is the fickle one?

I am in the midst of battling a property company and a pushy University business opportunity (formerly known as academe) over a piece of land close to my home. I have posted some pictures on Flickr to show what a fine place it is, especially in the sort of autumal weather we are having. (See link on blog.) Sometimes the plain and simple you have to hold is more rewarding than the complex and enigmatic one who escapes ...



(formerly known as Larkers)

The Plump said...

I am am a summer man, the Artist formerly known as Larkers. I love the Mediterranean and the constancy of its promise of eventual warmth. Don't know how I ended up in the North. Life plays trick on us.

I have been following your web site and wish you luck against the planners.